Friday, April 17, 2009

Garden Time

Hydrangeas are beautiful! I couldn't pass them up while doing a little shopping in the garden department. I have been slowly working on landscaping my backyard which had not been done in years. It is a long, slow process with only one worker-ME. I decided to incorporate several hydrangeas along the fence line to help take up space and add beautiful color and foliage.
I also have a few iris plants as well. This guy below just opened up Easter weekend and needed his picture taken! Iris's are a nice bulb to have because they come back every year and are easy to maintain.

I also picked up a flat of impatiens to add into some of my shadier areas in the backyard, along the side of the garage and off the patio area. They are always a cute flower to look at and I think they will do well where I plant them.

Also in the backyard, since I have the room, I have added a few citrus trees. I have planted an orange and lemon tree and have a new addition-Pumello tree. Have you ever had a Pumello? If not, you need to try one. They are awesome! They are a large yellow Chinese grapefruit. They are delicious and I am hoping to at least get 1!



Finally I was able to con my brother into picking up a yard of planing mix from a local landscape yard. I wanted this for my garden "box". I have decided to downsize my garden from the previous years so it would be more maintainable for me. So far, this hasn't happened. I started growing items outside the box too! This years garden consists of artichokes, potatoes-red, yellow and russet, red onion, sweet onion, green onions, garlic, leeks, carrots, radishes, spring mix lettuce, iceberg lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, red bell peppers and pablano peppers...and not to mention 8 heirloom tomatoes, watermelon and cantaloupe. I may be forgetting something. Today I took a look at thins and from seed, I have 1 iceberg lettuce that poke his head out of the ground, 4 radishes and 4 green onions that have sprouted-so exciting. I had to look closely to see them but was able to count something!



And a must have was this cute little garden hat that I needed to get the job done!!! Why did I need it~it was paisley!





















1 comment:

  1. I can't get over the beautiful hydrangeas...the colors are fantastic! That hat is too cute! I need one too! Can you get me one and I'll pay you back when I see you. It would be perfect for the bug-de-doo drives!
    I have only one fishin hat like that and it's in pink and white...need to get a collection going and I love that one!

    Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Fall Background page