Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cannellini Salad

Ok, so since I am single and I eat simple when cooking for one, here is one of my favorites. Cannellini Salad. There are several different variations of this salad that I make or swap out the beans for another, like chick peas. Start with a can of Cannellini beans (white kidney beans) and drain them well. I usually drain and rinse mine in a strainer to remove the starchy liquid.

Next I add a can of artichoke hearts which are already halved. I slice them in half again, so now they are quartered. These ones are packed in water but will often use the marinated artichoke hearts.
Then one of my favorites-OLIVES! Today I used Kalamata, but feel free to swap these with your favorite or black is always a good choice.




Mmmm, then I add fresh mozzarella. Ciliegine! I love these from Trader Joe's because they are small and round. I usually slice them in half so they are more bite size.



Next is to dice up a fresh tomato like this beauty below. This tomato was grown by my good friend James. I better get some gardening tips from him so my tomatoes will look like this next year!







Today I choose to add some basil I was growing. Usually I use fresh flat leaf parsley but didn't have any on had so basil was the winner. After washing the leaves, I gently stack the leaves together. Then roll them up into a tight little wrap and slice thinly.



Lastly is to season with Salt & Pepper and drizzle generously with EVOO. As an alternative you can use a good quality Italian dressing or your own favorite vinaigrette. The possibilities are endless. I think that is why I like to cook more than bake! Baking is precise measuring and not too much flexibility with the ingredients. With cooking, you rarely need to follow a recipe to a T!
















Gently toss all ingredients together. Then grab a cute little bowl to enjoy your salad in!











Enjoy!












2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie--
    It's me --Melinda, Nancy's friend. Glad to see you back in blog world. I know you have had a lot going on and hope things have settled down a bit for you. Take care.
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules,
    Looks delicious. I'm so jealous of your Trader Joe's supplies....I'm still waiting for one to be built in Kansas! I'm going to have to try your salad, looks easy and healthy!

    Love, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Fall Background page